Found in the London Borough of Richmond-Upon-Thames, Barnes has a number of 18th and 19th century buildings of exceptional quality and is often recognised for its historic village area centred in and around the pond, forming Barnes Village conservation area, Barnes is a small, yet perfectly formed Thames-side village located within London, idyllic in every sense of the word.
Some of London’s most expensive streets can be found here with famous British composer Gustav Holst, once residing in an area known as ‘The Terrace’.
The towns location also means that there is no shortage of riverside walks and activities and once a year Barnes becomes the focus of attention during the famous Oxford-Cambridge boat race as being situated halfway along the route it offers a fantastic vantage point for the spectators.
The London Wetland Centre is a vast nature reserve all the family can enjoy, and The stunning Riverside Gallery displays contemporary art for those wishing to be inspired making it a cultural, creative hub that everyone can enjoy.
Schools in the area such as Barnes Primary, East Sheen Primary and St. Mary Magdelen’s Catholic Primary all received “outstanding” Ofsted reports, with The Paddock Secondary School also obtaining the same status. The Harrodian and Chiswick Secondary Schools received “good” reports also, making the area ideal for those with children of all ages.
Although a very leafy green area with a distinctly village feel, Barnes is ideally located around 30 minutes from Central London with a wealth of transport links including two stations (Barnes and Barnes Bridge), various bus routes and easy access to the M4 which begins just North of the river, providing direct access to the M25 and Heathrow Airport.
- 209 (Hammersmith Lower Bus Station - Mortlake Avondale Road)
- 283 (East Acton Brunel Road - Barnes Pond/ Barn Elms Wetland Centre (09:30-17:00 GMT/ 09:30-18:00 BST))
- 33 (Hammersmith Lower Bus Station - Fulwell Abellio Bus Garage)
- 337 (Battersea Rise Bolingbroke Grove - Richmond Bus Station)
- 419 (Hammersmith Lower Bus Station - Richmond Bus Station)
- 485 (Hammersmith Lower Bus Station - Wandsworth Ram Street)
- 72 (East Acton Brunel Road - Roehampton Bessborough Road)
- N22 (Piccadilly Circus - Fulwell South Road)
- N74 (Baker Street Station - Roehampton Danebury Avenue)
Roads in this area
- Laurel Road